Tuesday, February 20, 2024

What's all this buzz?

 Alright, so after my research and planning it's now time to come up with a story for this thing. By that, I mean that I need to have a basic idea of what the story for the entire film will be, and then I'll decide what I want the opening itself will be. Once I do that, I'll begin scripting and storyboarding the opening. 

So as I've stated before, I want to make a thriller/monster movie. One of those classic kind of killer animal movies like King Kong or Steven Spielberg's Jaws. Why do want to do this? Well I just think that it'll be cool, and it's the type of genre that I think will really make my project stand out. Monster movies are an interesting subgenre of thrillers because they automatically provide a tangible threat for the characters (and audience) to be afraid of, and there's much spectacle to be created when it comes to ways that the monster is visualized and much suspense to be created in the ways that it's hidden. 

To get even more specific with my monster movie, my original idea was that I wanted the monster in question to be a gator, partly because I live in Florida in a suburban community built on the Everglades, so I wanted to get some home town representation in there. That was my plan for a while, but then I started writing this post and really started thinking. My original thinking was that yes, killer gator movies have been done before (Alexandre Aja's film Crawl comes to mind), but there was no monopoly on the idea. I felt like it hadn't been done enough that it had become oversaturated, like shark movies or spider movies. Then I started thinking: spiders. Why are they the only bug that gets the monster movie treatment? Certainly there are others that are scary enough to be thrilling antagonists? Then I really started to think about and it all began to come together. I had the idea of getting a shot from the gator's POV in my original idea, but one from the perspective of an insect would be far more creative and possibly easier to accomplish with simple resources. I thought of ants, which could work but I felt like I needed something better. Something scarier. Then, like a stinger to skin, it hit me. Mosquitos.

A quick Google search of "the most dangerous insect" will bring up the mosquito as the top result. Honestly, it's a wonder why their hasn't been a monster movie about them yet. The way they consume blood makes them a lot like vampires, one of Hollywood's favorite creatures of myth, they're presence preys on the same fear of disease as zombies, and their small size creates a perfect opportunity for suspense, with the possibly that they could be flying around anywhere and you wouldn't see it. There's a lot of potential in the idea of having a swarm of these tiny little pests, which reminds me a lot of the film Arachnophobia.
Additionally, mosquitos habitats are warm, temperate environments such as Florida, so I can still incorporate the familiar setting that I live and breathe (I like the idea of starting the film opening with a weather report on record high temperatures). So that settled it. This film will be giving a starring role to one of earth's deadliest creatures: The mosquito!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening

 It's done. It's finally done. After however many weeks it's been I finally finished the film opening. Here it is! Really proud ...